This page has moved to a new address.

Authentic Mexican Rice

The Best Blog Recipes: Authentic Mexican Rice

Jan 9, 2013

Authentic Mexican Rice

Photo Source:  The Best Blog Recipes



Join the The Best Blog Recipes for the latest and greatest!  
Like us on Facebook or follow on Pinterest!

To say that Mexican food is greatly loved in our house would be an understatement.  I think if given the choice, my family would opt for some sort of mexican dish on a daily basis if they could.  Sometimes I think that the only reason that they eat other types of food is because I cook all of the meals and they don't really have a choice :-)

With that said...  have I mentioned how "rice challenged" I am yet?  No joke.  Every time I make rice, without fail something always seems to go wrong.  You won't see many rice recipes on this blog because my rice usually turns out to be ugly.  Humm, maybe I could have a recipe category called "Ugly Rice".  What do you think?  Would you go and check that one out, lol! 
So that's why I was pleasantly surprised when this rice turned out to be good!  Not to wet, cooked all the way, good flavor... Yes!

I love nights like this when everything goes right!

Oh, and I better apologize for the lighting on this picture.  By the time everyone was fed, dishes done, baby put to bed, teenager helped with homework, etc... it was 11pm and I finally had some time to myself,  just me and my rice. 

Authentic Mexican Rice
Ingredients 
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 
1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
2 cups chicken broth
2 tsp Knorr brand Caldo de Tomate
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped 
1 stick of celery
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon chipolte chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper 

Directions
Heat oil in frying pan 

Add onion and celery mixture and saute for about 2-3 minutes to soften

Add dry rice to onion, celery and oil mixture and continue to sautee until rice starts to lightly brown

In a seperate bowl combine chicken broth, Caldo de Tomate, onion powder, garlic powder, chipolte chili powder, ground black pepper, salt, and ground red pepper.  Stir until lumps are dissolved.  

Add wet mixture to the sauteed rice and cover with lid.  Reduce heat and allow to simmer 20-25 minutes, or until all water has been absorbed.  

Remove from heat and fluff rice with fork.  Allow rice to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving (this allowed my rice to have a fluffier texture)

Serve and enjoy! 

Recipe inspired by:  Cooking Classy

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home